Wednesday, September 14, 2011

[BC] The Underdog


            
                “You are just going to end up hurt.” “You are going to get killed on the field.” Negative, discouraging comments were automatically thrown at me the moment I told people that I was considering joining the rugby team. Did they affect me? Yes. Did they stop me? No. Before I go any further, keep in mind that I am 5’1” tall, weighing at 110 pounds, which is the reason why people challenged my ability to strive in rugby.  Joining the rugby team and persistently attending the practices and games is something I am beyond proud of. The instant I set my mind on something, I give it all my effort. If I were to not participate in an activity, I would rather it be due to the fact that I do not want to take part in it, rather than listening to the afflicting opinions of others.
Without a doubt, however, their notions were in the back of my mind. From the start, I was hesitant to go into contact with the other girls. By the end of the season, I had become eager to tackle anybody coming at me. Rather than not being able to do anything at all, I became capable of tackling girls twice my size. If I think I am the best person on the field, my confidence will go up and so will my performance. I had to believe it before it could happen. In rugby, size is irrelevant to skill; it is all about technique and mentality. At the beginning of the season, my coach told me "It is not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog," and I took this quote to heart.
            During the Summer Seven’s rugby game, a girl on the opposing team was well on her way towards scoring a tri and earning five points. Heart racing, exhausted from the blazing sun, adrenaline pumping through my veins, I knew the crowd was watching our every move. Without hesitation, I sprinted towards her, hoping I would keep her from scoring. When the timing was right, I leaped forward, wrapped my arms around her legs and brought her down onto the grass. “Knock on!” I did it; I stopped her from scoring. If it were not for my tackle, the other team would have surpassed us. The inadequate, petite girl whose ability they doubted actually contributed in the team’s victory.
            When people doubt me, I take that negative feedback and turn it into a reason to thrive in what I am striving at; I build on their skepticism. I love proving people wrong rather than letting them bring me down with their criticism. Instead of being a fragile girl, I became known for being one of the fastest girls on the team, recognized for contributing great team effort. Nothing feels better than surprising people with the things I accomplish and prove that I am capable of more than what they give me credit for. My experience through rugby highlights my ambition, determination and drive. When it comes to something I am serious about, I persevere through the challenges until I obtain what I had set my heart on. 

3 comments:

  1. That's a really wonderful story! I would be so proud of myself if I were you. :) I also get called weak and fragile, but I don't have the guts to succeed at something like rugby like you did! It's really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Score! You tell this story really well and after all the back-and-forth you and I had about getting some ideas started, it is really satisfying to read this.

    ReplyDelete